Committee meeting info:



Zoom ID: 831 4306 2293
Password: MBAR2021.



The 2nd Saturday of each month at 11:00am PT.

Minutes

2021 MBAR Minutes

MBAR Committee Minutes - Martinez Hall, Marina CA - Saturday, January 9, 2021


I. Call to Order: Saturday, January 9, 2021 - Time: 11:00 am
II: Serenity Prayer

III: Tradition 1 was read: “Our common welfare should come first; personal progress depends upon AA unity.” Tim A. briefly spoke on this tradition, saying it meant no member could be compelled, punished, or expelled.

IV: Introduction of all attendees: 19

V. Recent A.A. Birthdays: None.

VI: Minutes: The minutes were approved with no changes.

VII: Chairperson’s Report:

a. It was pointed out to everyone that the meeting was being recorded.
b. Cindy stated that she received a response from the Tax Board, which is asking for more information.

Jill gave the Treasurer’s report. We have $8701 in the bank; no major change since the last report.

Milestones:

a) In-person vs. virtual MBAR. Only 5 (out of 19) respondents to Cindy’s e-blast said they would go to an in-person event in 2021. Response to Carrie’s Facebook poll was more evenly split: 10 would go to in-person MBAR, 10 would go to virtual, 4 want it postponed to 2022.

Cindy noted that we have $8700 currently available. The Conference Center would need a $5000 deposit in January, and there is about $1000 in other expenses (website, printing, postage, etc.) This would leave us with $2700. With no fundraisers, would need 400 preregistrations at $40 each, plus 240 onsite registrations at $25 each, to break even. Reducing the preregistration fee to $25 would raise the total number needed to over 1000.

Carrie noted that most registration occurs just before and at the conference, with little preregistration earlier. Arthur brought up possible “Zoom fatigue”, as people grow tired of virtual events. Cindy said that if attendance had to be limited due to the pandemic, we would be able to get our deposit back, and that she would make sure to have this in writing.

Thomas brought up delaying MBAR until 2022, when there will be pent-up demand for fellowship. Carrie suggested a virtual 2021 event, held Labor Day weekend, which could act as a fundraiser for the 2022 meeting. That would keep momentum going. Naomi pointed out that Zoom fatigue could still be an issue, whatever the virtual event was called. Arthur suggested using attendance at birthday meetings to estimate interest in a virtual MBAR.

Cory doubted that loss of momentum would be a problem if no MBAR were held in 2021. She also mentioned the possibility of having an outdoor event at Toro Park. Roger asked if the virtual conference would be a full 3 days or only 1. Mona noted that Covid was likely to be endemic through most of 2021, making an in-person conference very unlikely.

Carrie proposed a two-part motion: Should we have an in-person event in 2021? If not, should a virtual conference replace it? May suggested that we let the Conference Center know of these deliberations. She also announced that she will attend the International Women’s Conference in February, allowing her to gather information on virtual meetings.

Arthur moved to have no in-person MBAR event in 2021. The motion passed with none opposed. Carrie then moved to table the rest of the conversation (regarding a virtual or outdoor event) until February.

Jill stressed that we should inform the Conference Center we want Labor Day 2022. She also said we still need chairpersons, either for a virtual event or 2022.

Anyone with ideas on a virtual conference should send them to the Steering Committee.

VIII. Seventh Tradition:

IX. Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, February 3, 2021

X. Next Committee meeting is Saturday, February 13, 2021

XI. Meeting adjourned at 12:02 pm with the Serenity Prayer

Respectfully submitted by Andy Van Tuyl, MBAR Recording Secretary

2020 MBAR Minutes


MBAR Committee Minutes - Martinez Hall, Marina CA - Saturday, December 12, 2020


I. Call to Order:
Saturday, December 12, 2020
Time: 11:00 am

II: Serenity Prayer

III: Tradition 12 was read: “Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.” Andy briefly spoke on this tradition, saying the good of the group should come before personalities.

IV: Introduction of all attendees: 16 Cindy welcomed newcomers, inviting them to provide their contact information in chat.

V. Recent A.A. Birthdays: Tim A., 31 years.

VI: Minutes: The minutes were unanimously approved with no changes.

VII: Chairperson’s Report:

a. It was pointed out to everyone that the meeting was being recorded.
b. At the last minute, MBAR did not sign the contract with the Conference Center, because they announced they may not have the rooms we want. The Center may need to move us, and want that in the contract. A.A. meetings might be moved from the Steinbeck arena downstairs to the Serra rooms. Al- Anon could be moved to Colton. Cindy brought up getting our deposit back if the 6-ft apart rule were still in effect in September. Carrie said she would specifically ask the Conference Center about this, and have it put in the contract. She also said the Center agreed there would be no increase in cost if we had to move. It’s possible we could use some areas as virtual rooms, if needed. Jill brought up negotiating for reduced costs, if we were forced to go to smaller venues.

Jill gave the Treasurer’s report. There was one generous 7th tradition donation of $100, increasing our balance to $8701.62. This leaves plenty available for our $5000 deposit on January 15.

Milestones: a) Logo contest. Only 1 entry received. Cindy displayed it onscreen for all to see. The cost to put it on a banner will not be any more than previously, although it is uncertain if all details and colors would appear on T-shirts/mugs. The design was voted on and unanimously approved. Background colors will be finalized later.

b) Registration price: Carrie suggested making the price as attractive as possible, to maximize the number of paying attendees. In the past, non-payers reduced the effective fee from $40 to $25 per person. Cindy pointed out we will probably have less income from fundraisers, although costs are likely to be the same. May said it would be a good idea to continue the Helping Hand fund, where those who can’t attend pay to help those who do. Donna suggested a partial fee for those attending only 1 or 2 days. Jill proposed $10 per day, or $25 for all 3 days; Carrie suggested $20 per day ($40 total). Stacy brought up polling members at meetings, to see how many would attend. Thomas pointed out that lack of fundraisers this time will make it hard to lower the registration fee. Roger suggested finding out how many registered we would need to break even at $25 each vs. $40 each.

Naomi asked about a deadline for deciding on a virtual vs. in-person conference. Phil and Thomas suggested preparing for a virtual conference as a backup plan. Carrie said a Zoom mini-conference next year could raise interest (and funds) for an in-person conference in 2022. Naomi suggested a full online conference in 2021, with contributions to go toward 2022. Roger’s idea was to make the 2021 meeting a hybrid one. Jill pointed out that preparing for two conferences (virtual and in-person) might be too time-consuming. She suggested trying for virtual only. Carrie mentioned that a virtual conference would be a good teaser for 2022, and opened up many more speaker options. She moved to have a virtual meeting in 2021, followed by an in-person MBAR in 2022. Naomi suggested putting the decision off until January, urging members to discuss and pray about it in the meantime.
The motion was tabled until next month, and will be re-introduced at the January meeting. Representatives are urged to poll members of their groups before then. In addition, Carrie suggested a Facebook question on the issue; Naomi said Facebook has a poll feature we can use.

VIII. Seventh Tradition:

IX. Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, December 30, 2020

X. Next Committee meeting is Saturday, January 9, 2021

XI. Meeting adjourned at 12:12 pm with the Serenity Prayer

Respectfully submitted by Andy Van Tuyl, MBAR Recording Secretary

MBAR Committee Minutes Martinez Hall, Marina CA Saturday, November 14, 2020


I. Call to Order:
Saturday, November 14, 2020
Time: 11:00 am

II: Serenity Prayer

III: Tradition 11 was read: “Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.” Cindy gave a brief discussion on this tradition, saying she much preferred attraction to promotion.

IV: Introduction of all attendees: 14

V: Minutes: Jill C. said the suggestion to act “as if” the conference were happening normally came from May, not her. The minutes were amended to reflect this and unanimously approved.

VI: Chairperson’s Report:

a. Cindy noted that the meeting was being recorded, making sure to inform all participants of this fact.
b. She also suggested increasing the official meeting length to 90 minutes. Others said the current length was fine; it was decided to keep it for now (no official motion).
c. The meeting now has a new Zoom ID. It was agreed to let other groups use it.

Jill gave the Treasurer’s report. The balance has been going down, with nothing coming in. Initial balance $9909, expenses $1308, ending balance $8602. Most of the expenses were for the CPA working on our tax issue.

Milestones: a) Dates and venues. The Hyatt room rental would be much less than that of the Conference Center. But adding in food and 25% gratuity greatly increases the Hyatt cost, making the Conference Center a better deal overall. Rental would cost $15,900, the same as last year. AV would cost the same also. Susan A. questioned if having all food under one roof, as at the Hyatt, would result in larger attendance and thus more income. Roger suggested having a spaghetti dinner, or something else simple, to keep down food costs. Carrie noted that both venues would be flexible on refunds, if they were needed due to lockdown orders.

Naomi asked for a comparative cost sheet to be included in the minutes for future reference:

Item Hyatt MCC/Bethlehem
Breakfast $2,750.00 $550.40
Dinner $6,050.00 $742.26
Ice Cream $1,650.00 $257.53
Svc Fees/Sales Tax $6,630.47
Bethlehem Rental $300.00
Total $17,080.47 $1,850.19
Conf Room Rental $8,000.00 $13,900.00
Total $25,080.47 $15,750.19
Audio Visual $2,678.00 $2,672.00
May moved to have the 2021 MBAR at the Monterey Conference Center on Labor Day weekend (the only date available). The motion passed unanimously.

b) Speaker Committee: Phil has been listening to different speakers online. He welcomes anyone throwing speaker names his way. Susan has connections who know speakers, and would like to again have Friday night speakers who are local, in part to keep down costs. She will also talk to Sue about possible Sunday speakers. Phil does not want to be the whole speaker committee; other members are welcomed and needed!

c) Logo Contest: No submissions so far. Jill suggested voting on one of the existing designs, or picking one at random. Roger’s idea was to wait until the December deadline, encouraging submissions in the meantime, then pick an existing design if necessary. Carrie suggested placing an announcement in the monthly newsletter. Roger mentioned the email contact list as another option.

As part of the application process, the tax committee had to create set of bylaws. It should probably be approved at some point, probably in December or January. Members are encouraged to read it.

Cindy moved to replace Walter’s social security number with our EIN on the MBAR Comerica bank account #1894925039. The motion also included removing Walter Washington and Margaret Weaver as signatories, retaining Cynthia Ahern and adding this year’s Treasurer Jill Curran. The motion passed unanimously.

VII. Seventh Tradition:

VIII. Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, December 2, 2020

IX. Next Committee meeting is Saturday, December 12, 2020

X. Meeting adjourned at 12:06 pm with the Serenity Prayer
Respectfully Submitted by Andy Van Tuyl, MBAR Recording Secretary

MBAR Committee Minutes Martinez Hall, Marina CA Saturday, Saturday, October 10, 2020


Call to Order:
Saturday, October 10, 2020
Time: 11:00 am

II: Serenity Prayer

III: Tradition 10 was read: “Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues, hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.” May gave a brief discussion on this tradition.
IV: Introduction of all attendees: 12
V: Minutes: The minutes of the last meeting were unanimously approved as written.
VI: Chairperson’s Report:

a. Cindy noted that the meeting was being recorded, making sure to inform all participants of this fact.
b. She also mentioned that she had placed the minutes of last month’s meeting on the MBAR Facebook page.
c. Cindy said she had asked Carrie to be MBAR co-chair. Carrie was nominated for the position and unanimously approved.
d. Milestone charts will be used, effective immediately, so that necessary deadlines can be achieved.

Jill gave the Treasurer’s report. Total assets are still $9909.
It was initially proposed to have MBAR meetings via Zoom indefinitely. The proposal was changed to have Zoom meetings until the VTC was again available, and to pay for one year of Zoom. No 2021 rent will be paid to VTC in the meantime. The resolution was passed. Jill will ask the VTC to notify us when in-person meetings can resume.
May contacted four possible venues. The Conference Center is available Labor Day weekend 2021, but not any of the first three weekends in October. The Hyatt is available during both periods; however, we need to buy $7500 worth of food and drink. The Fairgrounds has no small meeting rooms, and is definitely not available Labor Day (October is uncertain). The Marriott has not been heard from. Carrie will now take over as messenger to the venues.

The December meeting (Dec. 12) is the milestone date for the venue decision, including a signed contract. At the November meeting, the majority of needed information will be brought to the committee; it will then be determined if still more is required. The problem of COVID restrictions was mentioned. Jill said we should just go ahead for now, and that if there are any issues our deposit could be refunded. For the last MBAR, 100% deposit refund was possible up to 3 months in advance. It was also suggested to use one center’s proposed rate to bid for lower rates from others.
It was proposed to begin a Speaker Committee, possibly asking if Brady knew someone who wanted to be chair. Phil C. volunteered to take on the position. Carrie pointed out that we also need an Al-Anon speaker chair, which Susan A. volunteered for.
The admission charge will be decided in a few months, when we have a firm venue and know who the speakers are. For now we will act “as if” the conference will be in person. This will be another item on the milestone chart.
The following possible milestone dates were suggested: vendors (December), ice cream/dinner (January), activities chair/banner (January), website registration available (December or January). The ice/cream dinner will be discussed with Bethlehem Lutheran, to make sure there are no church-related conflicts. Roger said a good way to choose milestone dates would be to start from “drop-dead” dates and work backward.
Neither Roger nor Cindy has seen any entries for the Logo Contest yet. Cindy suggested passing around fliers to drum up interest. Members are encouraged to distribute the flier to their sponsees.
The MBAR website has been updated. A proposal was made to put the meeting recording on our private Facebook page, and not the website. Carrie volunteered to be a second Facebook administrator.
Carrie will make an MBAR announcement at the Monterey Intergroup Birthday Meeting. Cindy will make an announcement at Linda and Dave's meeting, and Andy will make an announcement at the Salinas meeting.
We may again put together a diary with personal MBAR stories.

VII. Seventh Tradition:
VIII. Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, November 4, 2020
IX. Next Committee meeting is Saturday, November 14, 2020
X. Meeting adjourned at 12:24 pm with the Serenity Prayer

MBAR Committee Minutes Martinez Hall, Marina CA Saturday, September 12, 2020


I. Call to Order: Saturday, September 12, 2020 Time: 11:00 am II: Serenity Prayer

III: Tradition 9 was read: “A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.” Jill said A.A. was responsible for bringing sobriety within reach of all, without organization, animated by the spirit of fellowship.

IV: Introduction of all attendees: 14

V: Minutes: Jill proposed a change to the minutes as written, noting that she has been to four previous meetings. The amended minutes were unanimously approved.

VI: Chairperson’s Report:

a. Cindy noted that the meeting was being recorded, making sure to inform all participants of this fact. b. She also said each item was being timed, to keep the meeting within 1 hour.

Jill gave her first treasurer’s report. There was $5 in 7th tradition income for the month, raising our total assets from $9904 to $9909.

May has not contacted anyone about venues, saying we should have a specific date first. Cindy said we had voted and decided on October 2021. Carrie suggested going in asking for this date, but also checking with each venue to see if there was a better one. All agreed that was a good idea. After Naomi questioned if there actually was a vote for October 2021, it was determined there was not. Instead, it was agreed to use that date and Labor Day as possibilities when contacting venues.

Cindy emailed committee description lists out to possible volunteers.

Not much response so far for the logo contest. Esther suggested asking newcomers or and/or people in recovery centers to participate. Arthur said he will reach out to different recovery centers. Roger pointed out that the logo contest flier has no due date. A corrected version will be made soon.

The possibility of an online fellowship event was brought up. Susan will ask South Bay Roundup about their activities. Esther noted that the Knucklehead group does online bingo; maybe try that?

Cindy said we can use help with outreach. It’s not necessary to have an outreach chair at this point, just someone who can help at a given time. Again, South Bay Roundup may have ideas. May suggested having one person reach out to others, etc., starting a “chain reaction”. Susan said it’s not too early for an outreach flier, with a Zoom link and instructions on how to get involved.

Naomi suggested putting the MBAR minutes and recording on our website; Carrie mentioned linking to them from the Facebook group. Cindy thought both were good ideas.

Cindy can use someone to work with our webmaster. Susan thought this might be a good position for newcomers or sponsees. Roger volunteered to help with this.

Nothing new from Chuck on T-shirts. A definite date will be needed before a T-shirt design is finalized. In the event MBAR has to be virtual, we may still sell T-shirts to raise funds. So as not to be stuck with many unsold T-shirts, they may be ordered as people request them, rather than all at once.

Due to uncertainty over the future course of the pandemic, there was discussion of a virtual or hybrid event in 2021, maybe one with attendees staying in their cars. Also mentioned was the option of waiting until 2022. May said we should still plan for an in-person conference at this point.

Rent is paid at the VTC through 2020.

VII. Seventh Tradition:

VIII. Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, September 30, 2020

IX. Next Committee meeting is Saturday, October 10, 2020

X. Meeting adjourned at 12:11 pm with the Serenity Prayer

MBAR Committee Minutes Martinez Hall, Marina CA Saturday, August 8, 2020
I. Call to Order:
Saturday, August 8, 2020
Time: 11:00 am

II: Serenity Prayer

III: Tradition 8 was read: “Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever nonprofessional, but our service centers may employ special workers.” Andy discussed its application to MBAR and to Alcoholics Anonymous in general, saying it was sometimes necessary to use professionals, but that money should never get in the way of carrying the message.

IV: Introduction of all attendees: 16


V: Minutes: The minutes were approved, having been read by attendees prior to the meeting.
VI: Chairperson’s Report:

a. Cindy noted that the meeting was being recorded, making sure to inform all participants of this fact.
b. We are still in need of a co-chair. If you want to be one, or know someone who does, contact Cindy.

Jill volunteered to be treasurer. She said she would be happy to assist, and was looking forward to learning from Cindy. Although she had not previously been a chairperson, or come to many previous meetings, these requirements were waived. The nomination was voted on and approved (10 in favor, none opposed).

Cindy gave her last report as treasurer. There was no income or expense for the previous month, leaving the balance at $9904.


Discussions on the tax issue have been taking place with a Carmel CPA, especially regarding which papers we need to file.

It was suggested that we look into Directors and Officers Insurance (or Errors and Omissions Insurance), which protects steering committee members in case they are sued for inadequate work or negligence. One quote for this insurance was $500/year; others were lower. The issue will be brought up again in September.

May had no further report on possible venues or dates.

Volunteers are still needed; many committee positions remain unfilled. Committee members are required to have 1 year of sobriety, and to attend all future meeting. Lists with brief committee definitions and duties are available; more detailed “Passing It On” lists may be obtained from Cindy.

It was suggested that recruiting for volunteers be conducted as “Fun-Raisers” on Facebook, especially the MBAR site. Esther noted that the Knucklehead group has a virtual Bingo meeting the last Thursday of each month, which we could use to get ideas.

Roger distributed fliers for the logo contest, and also posted one on the Monterey Central Office website. Andy sent a copy to Kellie at Salinas Central Office. Pictures of past logos are on the flier. Members may post the flier on their personal Facebook walls, as long as AA is not specifically referred to, nor full names of other members included.

An Outreach Chair will be needed at some point, although this is not a high priority at the moment. We can also use a webmaster liaison, who will work with the webmaster to make the site look better.

Chuck has not yet gotten back to Cindy about T-shirts, although with no definite date, it is too early to begin designing shirts anyway.

Rent is paid at the VTC through the end of 2020. May suggested that we keep paying it indefinitely, so the facility will be available for us when we do begin using it again.

VII. Seventh Tradition:

VIII. Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, September 2, 2020

IX. Next Committee meeting is Saturday, September 12, 2020

X. Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am with the Serenity Prayer

MBAR Committee Minutes Martinez Hall, Marina CA Saturday, July 11, 2020

I. Call to Order:
Saturday, July 11, 2020
Time: 11:00 am
II: Serenity Prayer

III: Tradition 7 was read: “Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.” Cindy noted that this applies to MBAR as well, which needs to be careful about outside contributions.

IV: Introduction of all attendees: 16

V: Minutes: The minutes were approved, having been read by attendees prior to the meeting.

VI: Chairperson’s Report:

a. Cindy mentioned the challenges in this period of uncertainty, noting that patience and tolerance are required now more than ever.
b. Both a co-chair and a treasurer are still needed. As of now we only have half a steering committee.
c. Anyone in interested in being treasurer or co-chair should see Cindy as soon as possible.


Old Business: The tax issue is still under discussion. An extra $1000 was added to the budget for the purpose of addressing it.
There is not much further news on possible venues. May did find out that the Fairgrounds does not allow attendees to bring their own food. She wants the committee to vote on a date soon. Cindy said we should talk to vendors first to solidify dates. A definite date is needed before we invite any speakers.
Volunteer recruitment efforts are starting to pay off; there were more attendees today than last month. Cindy mentioned adding social events on Facebook (via Zoom) to increase participation. She also inquired how the calling of previous volunteers went. Those who reported said there were many disconnected numbers, but also some successes. It was suggested to try emails as well. Cindy thanked all those who did call.

There has so far been no feedback on the proposed logo contest. May moved that the contest end on December 1; the motion was seconded and unanimously approved. All entries are to be submitted to Roger. It was agreed that Al-Anon members may participate in the contest. The winner will receive a free registration and T-shirt.

It was clarified that attendees who have been to 2 meetings (not necessarily consecutive) can vote.

Due in part to the ongoing crisis, MBAR is aiming for 300-500 attendees (decided last month). An email blast to 2019 and earlier attendees is planned. Envelope stuffing may also be needed, as not everyone reads their emails.

Cindy discussed T-shirts with Chuck, who is still interested in working on them. Naomi pointed out that there is currently nothing in the budget for T-shirts, however. Roger suggested only ordering T-shirts for those who request them on their registration forms.

Virtual “non-fundraiser” events were suggested, including Zoom potluck, Bingo, raffle, or auction.

Rent is paid at the VTC through the end of 2020.

Mona suggested recording MBAR committee meetings, so those unable to attend can see them. It was agreed that names would need to be edited, and attendees informed about the recording.

VII. Seventh Tradition:
VIII. Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, July 29, 2020


IX. Next Committee meeting is Saturday, August 8, 2020 X. Meeting adjourned at 12:03 pm with the Serenity Prayer